Low level Cold Laser Therapy works by using low levels of light to stimulate healing. Low levels of light encourage blood flow, dilating blood vessels, lymph vessels and promoting new capillaries formations. It also stimulates mitochondria to produce ATP and stimulates nerve regeneration and the release of endorphins and enkephalins. These result in a reduction of pain.
Did you know that there are 5 scientifically validated effects that phototherapy (cold lasers) have on living tissues?
1. Accelerating Tissue Repair. The light used in cold laser therapy increases energy cellular synthesis of ATP (like photosynthesis when light energy is converted into chemical energy) So it is increasing the amount of energy available to the cells which allows cells to perform more readily. quicker healing time means less scar tissue.
2. Faster Collagen Formation. Collagen production is necessary for tissue repair. Again faster collagen production equals less scar tissue.
3. Increased Production of Endogenous Painkillers. Endorphins resemble opiates which provides the function as natural pain killers by producing analgesia.
4. Increased Lymphatic Drainage. Phototherapy temporarily dilate the lymphatic ducts allowing for more efficient waste removal.
5. Increased Vascularization. Increases blood flow to tissues which increases blood vessel formation over wounds, superficially and deeper. (muscles and tendons)